First up, my Clara bustle dress:
Last month, I made my reproduction of the Victorian barmaid costume worn by Clara in last year's Doctor Who Christmas special (read more about the planning here). I threw it together in record time (about 2 weeks), and wore it to a Who-themed PEERS dance at the beginning of June. The ball was a huge success — it brought out a mix of swing dancers, fans of the show, and PEERS regulars that packed the venue, making dancing a bit difficult at times. Even though the dance floor was crowded, it was great fun. I danced with the Fourth, Fifth, Tenth, and Eleventh doctors, crossed my own timeline a few times, narrowly avoided some Daleks and weeping angels, and waltzed to a swing version of the show's theme music.
I am thrilled with how my costume turned out, though sadly, not very many people knew who I was. There were a couple of people who got it instantly, and quite a few who remembered with a little prompting, but I'm sure a lot of folks must have thought I had missed the memo about the theme and showed up in a generic Victorian showgirl-type costume. Nevertheless, even those people admired it, and the good thing about it being a bit generic is that I can wear it for other events in the future.
As a reminder of what I was copying, here is Clara's dress from the show:
And here's my version:
Not bad, eh?
I used a red Kona cotton as the base for the skirt, with the outer skirt layer made from a black/red cross-dyed cotton. The ruffles were cut on the straight of the grain and fringed along the bottom edge, which is how they appear to be finished on the original costume. The top ruffle is accented with a ruche of the overskirt fabric.
The overskirt and bodice were made from an iridescent, embroidered polyester curtain fabric. Unfortunately, it was the only thing I could find to approximate the brocade used for Clara's costume on the show. It was an unpleasant reminder of why I never sew with synthetics — it was a pain to sew and press, and made me very hot and sweaty while dancing. It was a necessary compromise, however, and all things considered, looked pretty fabulous.
I had intended to knit a screen-accurate shawl to go with the dress, but I got about two-thirds of the way through the knitting, when my right wrist gave out. It hurt so severely that I had to give it up and do without. In fact, over a month later, it is still giving me problems. No more knitting for me! Luckily, I found a second-hand chenille knitted scarf in a similar color that was close enough. It ended up not mattering much, because the dance was too hot and crowded to wear a shawl anyway. I left the chenille scarf in the dressing room for most of the night.
My American Duchess Tavistocks, while not exactly screen accurate, looked great with the dress and were surprisingly comfortable to dance in.
Altogether, I think this dress was a success. I'll keep it in the closet in case I ever need to attend an event as an 1880s saloon girl!